View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:38 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd like to add something to the list of topics:

-- Standardizing the mapping of monospace characters to the Latin charset equivalent

I usually prefer characters such as ~ and ・ to be mapped to ~ and · respectively for translations and romanizations. Naturally, JASCII characters should always be converted to ASCII as well.

The exception is symbols like ☆, although some people tend to convert those into asterisks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA View Post
I also prefer using artist's sites as a source for the correct title OVER how it's printed on the jacket, as the typography used on the jacket isn't always correct (such as this for instance.) This statement however contradicts my earlier one not wanting to use the katakana title of ALiCE'S EMOTiON albums because he often prints the title in the form of 'Lycoris -リコリス-' online. I just can't win can I?
There's a distinction to be made between the stylized title (i.e. print or logo version) and the transcribed title. For example, if you strictly follow what's printed, this would be ChäoS;HEAd instead of CHAOS;HEAD (the publisher consistently uses the latter).

What I feel is, for parts of the album title that don't refer to a trademark, use what's printed (i.e. Original Sound Track versus Original Soundtrack). Otherwise, follow the publisher's transcription style. Better yet, follow what's written on the obi (if applicable), since there's too little space there to do fancy typography or logos.