View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Standardizing the inclusion of names in artist albums (e.g., Hoshizora no Sakamichi / Haruka Shimotsuki)
Include for singles but within reason (see Cedille's points) but at least add an alt title with the original. Also I suggest to add an alt title with the game they are related so they appear in searchs and are easier to find (ex.- "Name / Artist (Game X Opening)").

Quote:
Standardizing the separator for multi-line titles (~, -, EM DASH?)
No preferences but consider using special characters/separators and handle presentation programatically, in case the policy changes.

Quote:
Should subtitles be split out into a separate field?
Can be confusing, not really that needed.

Quote:
Should fan translations be allowed for certain titles (e.g., Mamoru Has Been Cursed!)
4th+ line but within reason, list relevant ones only (ie.- I think 'Mamoru Has Been Cursed' is rarely if ever used to call the game so avoid, but Treasure of the Rudra would be ok).

Quote:
Inclusion of Japanese titles on albums whose title is already in English
4th+ line. If kanji-only titles can be romanized for western users surely kana/kanji can be added to help asian users.

Quote:
Standardize on Romanized or Western game titles in the Display Title for the album
Discuss case by case, user selection can be used to alter it (though it doesn't work too well right now). I'd go with romanized for long series, especially if they have US albums released (ex. Akumajo and Castlevania).

Quote:
Standardize the mapping of monospace characters to the Latin charset equivalent for display titles
Agreed, asian characters should be changed to western equivalents (not only in look but in meaning). Universal (unicode) characters should be kept (ex.- notes, hearts). I'd add and discuss a "conversion list" since not everybody may know them or agree (ex 『 > ' , 「 > ").
Also sometimes in JP titles/tracklists I find this strange variation of ~: 〜. Seems non-standard so I'd change all instances to ~.

Other suggestions:
- Follow caps more strictly at least for trademarks or clear, consistent use of mixed case like Gigablah said (if this annoys people simple css or js magic can fix it). This means "FINAL FANTASY Original Soundtrack" and such for Square albums in glorious CAPS. Specially if the title is only written in Latin letters (FF again).

- Consider separating the display/romanized/alternate (US, fan-tranlations) names and the printed title(s) in different boxes, so there is a clearer distintion (it doesn't need to be too apparent to the user, just when editting). Currently you can't tell them apart. For albums without scans or digital releases long gone, it's info lost forever.