View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
VGMdb Staff

The problem you see a lot with Jap->Eng translations is that people are trying to be too literal, translating word-by-word without taking into account the fundamental differances between the languages. I actually thought the translation we had was basically good, but I made a few much needed edits. And since the translation caters to English speaking people I see no reason to use the original Japanese names.

Here are also a few tracks for which I feel the translation is up for debate:

"Secret of the Forest"
While the literal title refers to a "vast" forest it seems strange calling it that, since the forest in the game is anything but that. 'Secret of Forest' is also what's used for the arrange album

"Silent Light"
I don't remember the game well enough to say if this or 'Light of Silence' makes more sense.

"A Desolate World"
Within the context of the game, both this and 'A World in Ruins' would be good descriptive translations. The Previous 'A Ruined World' is rather too general for my tastes.

"The Day the World Ended"
While literally something like 'The World's Final Day', the above sounds better.

"Johnny of the Rampant Robo Corps"
The popular name for "cool" bike gangs in Japan is 暴走族 (Bousou Zoku). In this title only the Bousou (rampant, wild, out of control) part is included. As I remember from the game, of the members that we see, only Johnny is actually a bike(r). The rest are just regular robots.

"Rhythm of the Wind, the Sky and the Earth"
This is a good example of how Japanese differs from English in terms of how specific it is. In English you can't say "Rhythm of Sky". Since there is only one sky you need to add a "the". Wind and Earth (presuming they are not refering to the planet itself) are less specific though.

"The Depths of the Night"
Quite hard to come up with something which was both true to the original meaning and sounded good in English.

"Chrono Corridor"
Has the same meaning as 'Corridor of Time' but sounds better in the context of the game. Was also used for the arrange album.

"Undersea Palace"
Literal translation would be something like 'Temple at the Bottom of the Sea' but I gave the nod once again to the title from the arrange album.

"Dark Dream"
Not really sure what this refers to game-wise, but never the less, 'Dark' is more fitting than 'Black'. I don't really like 'Dream' either since I don't remember anyone having a dream at this stage of the game. I can't seem to place the music either, anyone know what it might refer to?

"World Revolution"
While there is a "no toki" at the end of the original title I can't think of a way to add that without it sounding strange. 'Time of the World Revolution' or something doesn't really add anything to 'World Revolution'. Again, this is also the official translation from the arrange album.

"Outskirts of Time"
Literal title is, what, "The Way to Faraway Times"? 'Outskirts of Time' doesn't seem literal enough for my tastes but again it's from the arrange album.

Last edited by seanne; Oct 12, 2009 at 05:57 PM.