View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:45 AM

Now individuals can sell music via iTune store or Amazon easily. If a VGM artist who owns the copyright of his music or the permission from the game company sells his soundtrack on iTunes store, isn't it classified as an orange "Doujin/Independent" album? (since aggregators is more like distributors).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
All doujin albums are independent albums (by the normal definition of independent.)
But it's technically possible that record companies release doujin albums. I know it's quite rare (this may be the closest) because perhaps we no longer could call it "doujin" if it's published from a commercial label, but as long as "doujin" is more about professionalism or such, it's not appropriate to use "doujin" to represent some types of publications and combine it with Indies, IMO.

I think our current classification mixes up a couple different elements (publication, professionalism, legitimacy and whatnot), and that's why I'm not a big fan of it. Below is my quick attempt to classify;

Type of Publication: Official, Independent/Indies
Legitimacy of Release: Official/Indies, Doujin, Bootleg (this isn't correct, because some doujin artists pay fees to JASRAC).
Professionalism: Official/Bootleg, Indies/Doujin (again, this isn't correct as some doujin artists earn their living costs).

To put it simply, when Doujin is such an ambiguous concept, I don't think it's fair to bundle it with Indies just because both have self-publication in common.

Last edited by Cedille; Apr 21, 2010 at 06:48 AM.