View Single Post
Old May 25, 2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
Yeah, I think that's so cool. I wish I could be a fly on the wall back in their uni days, listening to them discuss Yes, ELP, King Crimson and whatever other music inspired them... lol. But as great as they are at that they're also fabulous orchestrators.

Absolutely. The two of them were pre-eminent in their time, I think, both because they inherited the best underlying principles that made Sugiyama's music work so well, and they developed their unique styles from there on.

And now Takenouchi has disappeared without a trace. I figure Matsuo would know something, but he doesn't exactly have a strong internet presence either. The only other people I can imagine would know anything are Noriyuki Iwadare and perhaps Shinji Hosoe.

Matsuo might know, too, unless there's evidence that he's forgotten about his old college mate.

CHz: yes you have the best taste, so many of my favourites in that list, but also some names I don't recognise at all (Hyakutaro Tsukumo, Taro Kudo, Hirofumi Taniguchi.) Recommendations?
Tsukumo replaced Toshiharu Yamanishi as the main musician at Technosoft—from there, he became the longest-lasting, most-prolific composer and arranger at the soft-house, though I don't think he ever achieved what Toshiharu did with Elemental Master and Thunder Force IV alone.

Kudo was doing stuff like Super Castlevania IV at Konami, but he eventually joined up with Kenichi Nishi at Love-de-Lic to work on Moon RPG's soundtrack, alongside other Konami veterans like Hirofumi Taniguchi. He even got to direct his own game there, and now he's off doing whatever. Same goes for Taniguchi, who's been busy here and there. His best work was back in the LDL days, where he was the latter half of the Thelonious Monkees, doing crazy weird music for games like UFO (which is the most Frank Zappa-esque soundtrack I've heard in a game ever).