View Single Post
Old May 25, 2012, 11:21 PM

Really? That's strange: most game music fans I know usually pass over the early Gust stuff, even though it ranges from decent to great overall. Part of the problem, I think, is that the one major album release featuring Yamanishi from that period—Atelier Marie—showcases his weakest work of the time. Falcata is simply great all-over: amazing battle themes, great contextual themes, some wonderful melodies and ideas through and through. I still need to listen to Story of King Ares, though I'm not yet able to hook up a HOOT set-up to get working on that.

I agree on the Tsukumo bit there. He's got the cheesy, most over-the-top style out of all the ex-Technosoft musicians, and I appreciate his exquisite harmonies. That said, Yamanishi can be just as cheesy if not cheesier (Atelier Marie!), and Thunder Force IV rips the beating heart of Thunder Force V for the most part.

What interests me the most is how you knew about Falcata and other obscure stuff—I don't think I've ever met another person who's been familiar with it, suffice to say. What do you think of the main Artdink musicians, on an unrelated note (Daisuke Nakakaze, Koji Yamada, Koshiro Nishida, Yasuyuki Suzuki, Tatsuhiko Asano (mainly an Iida collaborator), Osamu Yoshida)?