Thread: MAGES. (#773)
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2014, 08:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Let's see if we can make some sense. First, basically the orgs we have currently are correct. To recap:

Companies: 5pb. (+ AG-ONE) > MAGES. (2005/04~2011/06/01~present)
Imprints, called "brands" in their sites (2005/05~2007/11/30~present)
- Game business: Five Games Kid / 5gk. > 5pb.Games
- Music business: Five Records > 5pb.Records

Now the tricky part: records and games by 5pb.Games/Records, just list "5pb." as the publisher (sometimes developer) even now.
> Games: ex, ex
> Records: FVCG, FPBD, YZPB

This all makes me think that:
- "5pb." (legal EN: "5pb. Inc.", legal JP "株式会社5pb.") is the actual, current legal entity that owns the copyrights and wasn't actually terminated in 2011/06 [but I can't find evidence for it].
- OR "5pb." is now the umbrella label, and is the one officially credited.
- MAGES. (legal EN: "MAGES. Inc.", legal JP "株式会社MAGES.") was created from 5pb. + AG-ONE staff, and is the one that actually operates [usually not credited as (c)MAGES., not rightholder?]
- 5pb.Records/Games are internal labels, not actual entities.
- "5pb." and "5pb. Inc." are exactly the same thing (one is the regular name and other the English entity name)
- The logos/copyrights in the CDs (see my list above) ultimately refer to just "5pb." (5pb. Inc.).
- The cat# stem don't really tell how to link (ie. all cat#s are technically just 5pb.)

So how to handle enclosures and/or albums not officially by 5pb.Records?
1. Remove Inc. from "5pb. Inc" [as per guidelines and since it's only the legal name]
2a. Create a "5pb.Games" imprint, link enclosures to it (so relink all from 5pb. and MAGES.) [less accurate but more consistent with 5pb.Records. albums]
2b. Link enclosures to "5pb." for albums <2011/06 and MAGES. for albums >2011/06/01 [not really accurate since MAGES. is not usually credited]
2c. Create a "5pb." (from 2011/06) parent label for "5pb.Records", link enclosures there [possibly more accurate but harder to understand]
2d. Remove "until" date in "5pb.", link enclosures to "5pb." [if there is evidence 5pb. company still exists]

I'm inclined to go with 2b for the time being (easier to mutate the entry later).

(article I'll check later)

Last edited by Dag; Nov 1, 2014 at 09:03 AM.