Thread: Artist wiki?
View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that Wikipedia's rules are not suitable for most entertainment information. While it's important to keep trivia to a minimum, Wikipedia's notability rules are just too strict. While I can't comment on the other genres, I believe that Video Gaming and Video Game Music (as well as Anime and Anime Music) should probably only be minimally covered on Wiki.

These forms of entertainment should migrate to a new wiki (or wikis) with a new more appropriate set of rules, where official publication of a work is sufficient for notability. The fan communities should also abandon Wikipedia as an outlet for their enthusiasm. Let Wikipedia cover the games and game composers that have impacted society as a whole, and leave the minutia to the new wiki.

As for hosting this wiki here, we could do this, but is this the right place for it? It seems that the logical "chunk" for a contiguous wiki is (Games, Game Music, Anime, Anime Music), and we ultimately don't cover all of that. Some collaboration is probably needed, but I'm not sure who with. Mobygames perhaps on the game side? There's probably someone on the Anime side as well.