View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2017, 07:12 AM

Hello friends.

Took and uploaded new photos of my S.S.H. album collection (see first post). Almost done... (no, I'm not planning on getting the myriad Touhou albums S.S.H. contributes a track or two for - even fanboys have their limits).

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee
-Challenges-
5. Obtain brand new and sealed copy of "Rain Drop" (SHAT-0005).
I have an almost complete sealed collection of Aether's and S.S.H.'s Touhou arrange albums (SHAT-XXXX) but this one continues to elude me. The very first album in the Touhou range "Frenzy Frenzy" (SHAT-0001) was one of the last ones I got, sealed or not. I guess it's out of print as well as Rain Drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee
3. Translate/search through his Twitter account/tweets for interesting/useful information (0%).
It is now 100%.

As of 2017, April Fool's day, S.S.H. has made 8,723 tweets and I probably missed most of them and there's probably no way to retrieve any of the old ones so I had to make do with whatever is available. His usual Twitter habit is disappearing for a week or two, come back with a flurry of tweets, and then disappear again.

In any case, I am now up to date and will continue to keep on top of any and all new ones. Here are some interesting tweets so far:
  • A new original S.S.H. song called "Shuffle or Die" is available for free download. Sounds a bit bluesy and sweepy (picking).
  • He replied in English to someone else. Looks like a machine translation though.
  • He tried some new guitar/bass/drum sounds.
  • In a rare case of sharing his early musical past (or anything about himself for that matter), he reveals that when he was in his teens (?), he bought musical scores of his favourite bands, repeatedly listened to the songs many times while viewing the scores, entered them into a "sequencer", worked out the "chord progressions" etc, and studied the entire construct of the songs.

There's also a little something else. Before we cover that tweet, let us refer back to a post I made very late last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
He also writes that he wants to "let you know" about "something else", hopefully "within the year", though he is unsure if the "preparations" will be concluded "in time" before the "end of the year".

Needless to say, that is quite vague. I would like to take a guess though. We will refer to S.S.H.'s Twitter account, to a particular tweet: https://twitter.com/SSH_SAITAMA/stat...20388580483073

On the 7th of August 2016, he tweets his regret that he was unable to publish a non-Vocaloid original vocal album during summer (June to August in Japan). Nevertheless, he hopes for an August release (September to November). That obviously didn't happen. The next season is Winter, which covers December to February.

So that's my prediction: a new original album soon from S.S.H. Also, let's look at the release dates of his first original album (Forgotten Ruins in August 2014) and second (Click & Metal in December 2015). If history is of any indication, the time is ripe for a new album late 2016/early 2017.
I'm not sure if the following tweet is related to the above but he revealed that in 2016, he bought an RPG making program called "SMILE GAME BUILDER". Think "RPG Maker/Tsukuru" except it's not RPG Maker and it has a 3D engine. While composing songs at the same time as making an RPG, he hoped to have ready a playable demo within 2016, which didn't happen.

On another tweet on the same day, he hoped for a March 2017 release. But it's April the 1st as of 2 hours ago (it might still be March the 31st in your country). Anyway, that doesn't look like it's happening.

What we do have are 4 background music for the game he is making. In that tweet, he ponders on what town music should sound like.

So for now, how about we try to guess the context of the songs?

Bgm001 - This is probably town music. But what kind of town? I'd guess a more metro/urban and/or technically advanced town. I'm imagining it's night with a lot of bright neon street signs. Maybe it's raining with lots of puddle everywhere.
Bgm002 - This one has a similar feel to the above. I'm thinking Bgm001 is the general town/city theme while Bgm002 is the same city except a different part of town (e.g. market area, entertainment district, etc).
Bgm003 - The jazzy saxophone-ish instrument suggests a bar where you can have a drink and chat with the city's various mutated residents.
Bgm004 - I'd have to go with shop theme and/or basically music that plays on the menu screen (e.g. party menu or traveling through the city using menus if you can't actually control the character in towns).

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a Megami Tensei-esque Rougelike/RPG game since that's one of his favourite game franchises and probably a first-person viewpoint one.

Finally, S.S.H. making his own RPG gave me an idea: how about _I_ make an RPG myself, using S.S.H. music as the game's soundtrack? The last time I dabbled in that sort of thing was many many years ago using an old version of RPG Maker but I got bored of it very quickly.

Well, I fairly recently got the latest version of RPG Maker (called RPG Maker MV) and I sort of have the foundations for an RPG. I've got a world map, a town or two, a dungeon or two, and a character or two, and some monsters. And yes, the entire game soundtrack is S.S.H. only.

I definitely have no intention of making a fully fledged RPG - I'm just experimenting and so far, the "game" I have right now is simply the combination of RPG Maker MV tutorials I've followed. I probably spent more time trying to figure out which S.S.H. music goes in which context appropriately! Which I did have fun doing. Obviously I can't use 200bpm+ music in each and every area. Context matters.

Anyway, the results of my barebones RPG will be uploaded on YouTube within 1 or 2 weeks from now. Again, don't expect anything remotely good - like I said, it's an experiment/just messing around/just for fun.