View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:40 PM

Default Anyone ever buy CDs from this Ebay seller before?

Recently I was looking around for the Crusher Joe movie soundtracks, specifically the VICL-23058 & VICL-23057 releases. At the time of this post the later was available (used) on Amazon.JP, but the former was unlivable, all I could find was the original vinyl release (JBX-25012.) Regardless, I kept looking around and I eventually found them both Brand New from the seller "bearcwwong" on Ebay and I quickly purchased them. As far as I can tell everything they're selling does appear to be legitimate, however I wanted to get a couple second opinions just to be sure since there were a couple things I noticed that seemed odd.

The first thing I found a bit surprising was that both of the CDs were actually (relatively) low prices all things considered, Symphonic Suite goes for at least around $60 used, but i got it for only $45 brand new, the Music Collection went for a bit more ($70,) but considering I couldn't even find it anywhere else I'm surprised it didn't go for much more.

The second thing is relatively minor, but it struck me as odd that a Hong Kong seller was selling fairly rare Japanese items, I think this is actually what got my paranoia in the first place as the few bootleg products I have come across tended to be from either Hong Kong or Taiwan. However, nearly all bootleg CDs have some telltale sign on them which would indicate that they're not the genuine article and very, very few to my knowledge (the only ones I'm aware of are a RE: Code Veronica & MM: Legends/Dash one) still feature the original publishers on them. As far as I can see their item images do seem to show the proper copyrights and such on them. Granted, I can't compare anything outside of the booklet and obi since I couldn't find any images of the discs and such online, though to my knowledge, there doesn't appear to even be any Crusher Joe CD bootlegs, at least none that I could find.

Lastly, (and this is probably the oddest thing I came across while looking) I came across a Yahoo Auctions user named "Y8625513297" and I'm under the impression that they might be the same person as there were items listed there which featured the exact same images as those featured on bearcwwong's Ebay page. For Example, the Crusher Joe Music Collection previously featured their looked like this & the Yahoo one used the exact same images, both front and back. Even stranger is the Yahoo listing was $210 (which honestly, is more along the lines of what I'd expect it to cost brand new.) If it is the same person than I'd find it really bizarre that the listed prices would differ so drastically. I tried contacting bearcwwong in order to inquire if all his products were legitimate and if he was also Y8625513297 or not (since I was curious,) but I never got any reply which didn't really help my worries.

Regardless, I really do think that I'm just being being paranoid here, but I figured I'd post about it anyway, solely in the hopes of easing my suspensions.