View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2018, 01:26 AM

@Jormungand

That's why I wrote "as far as I am concerned". I respectfully disagree of course, and I think Assault is really good, but to each his own. I find myself agreeing with this podcast about Assaults music (for the most part) and I really liked the game and think it gets an unfair reputation among fans of the series as the "black sheep": http://www.supermarcatobros.com/podc...ar-fox-assault

As for the Indipendence Day video, its obviously a joke since that level is a direct homage to the movie, and as a matter of fact, the whole Star Fox 64 was a homage to a corny SciFi Blockbuster (I don't know about the Japanese original version though):

Star Fox Assault likewise is a corney Japanese Space Opera and the very series itself was heavily inspired by British Television show Thunderbirds and Hollywood SciFi films. The very first scene from Star Fox (SNES) is a homage to the beginning of Star Wars: Episode 4.

BTW, the most likely very first orchestral video game score is a homage to Pouledoris Conan so since its inception, Japanese video game music in its early years, definitely drew inspiration from Hollywood:

Wizardry V: Shadows of the Maelstrom (FM Towns) (Composed by Kohei Tanaka, 1990)

Even the very first symphonic albums of Video Game music drew inspiration from the Silver Age: Dragon Quest III (Composed/arranged by Koichi Sugiyama, 1988)

BUT I want to make a distinction, I didn't want "Hollywood" as it is understood today, I want to hear the music Hollywood used to have and "Film music" used to be, that is Symphonic music written in Wagnerian operatic style or classical style in general. I meant not to sound like Arnold but to tell a story with music in that idiom, as these old Hollywood SciFi films of the past did and just don't do anymore. These days I don't care for Hollywood myself and think Anime and Games a natural evolution of film music, and my personal favorite game score of last year was Gravity Daze 2 (by the same composer as Wizardry btw) which is just about every musical style under the sun, from British film music to reggae, sometimes even in the same piece of music and I really love how experimental and incorporating of the whole music history of the world, Japanese games get nowadays, but I think its unfair to suggest early decades of Japanese video game music didn't have anything to do with Hollywood (Film music) or were not paying homage to it.

I am not in the "Film music vs Game music" camp and am not someone who wants video game music to be taken seriously when it was "serious"/amazing music in Japan from the get-go, i.e. Dragon Quest, Wizardry and a billion others. We only need to give most of these the live-orchestra treatment and we are good to go.

It's all merely a suggestion, not a dictation. I am well aware of Mr. Sato's talents and abilities and do not want in any way suggest he doesn't already know which approach works best. It's just what I would love to hear. I am in the camp that prefers symphonic arrangements, instead of a collection of cues, thats all there is to it.

Last edited by VIN; Aug 15, 2018 at 06:09 AM.