View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawnyawn View Post
Hey, cool blog you've got there. I have a question related to this that you or someone could help with perhaps.

I'm wondering when various genres from the 80s onwards first made the transition into vgm, such as:
New Wave
Post-punk
Gothic/Goth Rock
Electro and Electro Funk
Italo Disco
Techno
House
Alternative Rock and Grunge
Indie Rock
D&B
Hip Hop
Industrial or Industrial Crossover (Metal, Techno/Electro)
Rap Metal/Rock
Ska Punk

When it comes to techno, the earliest similar examples I've found are from Dynamix (unreleased C64 game), Misty Blue and Bionic Commando (C64, stage 3).
Hello,

thanks for your interest. While I did hear a lot of pop music and game music in my time questions like "when was the earliest occurence of" are hard for me to answer because there are many games I did not play (especially in the C64 domain where I did not play as much). But the rule of thumb is that music genres become popular in gaming pretty much at the same time as they are popular in real life (Techno in the mid eighties, Gangsta Hip Hop in the 90s etc.) with the exception of the genres that existed before gaming (jazz, classical etc.). Here one can say that they become popular once the composers who heard them in their youth come of age (tons of 90s games have 80s music thus etc.). Of course, the japanese process music eras a little bit different than the west. For example sunshine pop had a revival in the 80s in japan just like disco which reemerged there as City Pop or the alternative rock wave in the early 2000s. So the best I can say to you at the moment is to google for well known game composers and their influences, then have a look at their earliest works, this should be a good indicator for starters.