View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:39 PM

1) Thanks for the quotes from the Complete Works book.
2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
you'd think Capcom would be capable of doing the same thing.
You might think that, but that's just not how it works most of the time.

Different companies had different ways of composing music and getting it into the SNES. Just because a few enthusiasts have devised a format for easy listening and consumption of this music (SPC) does not mean it will be widely used or professionally accepted, nor would a company (except maybe Nintendo) have a similar emulation routine of its own to fall back on. Unless they talk about it in those untranslated liner notes, we don't know how these SNES recordings were sourced. I understand a lot of the original equipment used to make SNES songs was junked long ago. From a production standpoint, this is some ancient stuff that Suleputer/Capcom had to work with, so we could be dealing with:

* Archival recordings initially made alongside production of the game itself back in the 90s
* Simple line-in from a Super Famicom running a retail copy of the game
* Execution of game code, and all that it entails (sound effects), through a proper recording system
* ???

We just don't know. The point is, with so many variables, howevers and practicalities involved with releasing this music on a disc 10 years after the fact, a few hitches or foibles shouldn't be judged too harshly. If the whole thing had sounded like someone put a tape player up to a TV's speakers, then we'd have something to truly gripe about.

Also, I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm jumping down your throat. I'm not. It just seems that a lot of people take for granted what's involved in producing, preserving, and releasing older music like this.