View Single Post
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

This issue is probably more due to historical circumstance than anything. A large part of it has to do with the database schema, which was drawn up somewhere around 2003-4, and the focus was somewhat different from what we envision now.

Currently the site is built around the "album" as the primary entity. As I mentioned above, game discs with redbook audio aren't technically albums, which is why the database excludes them. It's something that doesn't sit too well with me, either. The solution here is to make some extensive changes to the database structure (the crucial addition being a new "media" table) which would take some time, but I believe I've got the details hammered out. I'll put forth a proposal this weekend for you guys to look over.

As for artist works, text-only entries can be possible (and it could even be useful for "placeholder" entries that can be expanded into a full album entry later), and game-ographies will be possible when we get the series/product database up, but there's also the possibility of data sharing with other sources that provide such information (which admittedly we haven't explored extensively yet).