View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

One thing we need to be careful about. Chris has pointed out that the iTunes releases often have different (i.e. longer) track times tham the physical releases, even if they have the same track titles. For this reason, we need to be much more careful. Track names and times from iTunes releases should never be entered into the original album pages because of this.

For the most part, this implies that each iTunes release is going to have to get its own album entry. Because of the tracktimes, these might not always be considered reprintings either. Still, the way that we're handling these releases doesn't seem like it's working yet. There's something not very clean or concise about it.

A couple of proposals:
  • What if we "(iTunes)" to the end of the titles so that they can be distinguished from the official releases more easllly. This will clean up search results and discographies.
  • I'm not very happy with setting the release date to the album's release date when unknown. It's misleading to have an iTunes digital album with a 1991 release date. I think we'd be better off estimating the year, at least getting it in the ballpark.