View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2018, 01:27 PM
Trusted Editor

Specifically to answer the one question in your post:

Quote:
but is there any sense to put lyricist for track 3 and 13 without a vocalist? And vocal for track 16 without a lyricist?
My opinion is yes. It is credited that way in the inserts, therefore it should be in the Album Info section.

I have no issue with you not thinking it should be but I've always been an Album Info purist in that whatever goes in the Album Info section is primarily what is printed in the physical medium, verbatim (including errors). I tried for a long time to maintain formatting as best I could but it's almost impossible without a monospaced font and I got tired of pressing spacebar hundreds of times and trying to visually line stuff up. So now I try to maintain formatting as best I can, and sometimes adding ':' in front of section breaks and comma separating artists that might normally be broken up on multiple lines in a 3-column insert page.

If anything is added after the fact that doesn't exist in the physical medium(s) inserts, whether it's a correction, addendum, addition, deletion, omission, speculative credit, etc, it's fine to put in the album info as long as it's stated as such and separate from the actual verbatim, transcribed album information.

Also, I don't really have anything against speculative or assumptive crediting of songs but it really, really helps if you post something in an album discussion thread stating such, with sources (as you've done) what you've edited/added and based on what. That wasn't done here but it's done on a lot of albums.

I don't mind if you put that information back in the Album Info section but I would (personally) prefer it in a section that isn't part of the transcribed inserts, since it isn't printed that way. If we want to add a small section at the bottom that says which credits are uncredited or missing from this album that works for me.

The Album Info diff function on the site, while much improved from what it was years ago, still only goes so far in explaining edits. This is why I try to document every change I make to an album so that 10 years down the road if someone sees something and tries to correct it, they (hopefully) read the thread and understand why something was done that way. Or even if not just to spark discussion about something for the trusted users and staff that read unread posts since last visit every day.

Again, not trying to blame, point fingers, or call anything out as wrong. This is why I post those kinds of things, in case anyone has an argument for or against it or wants to add/remove things from what I changed. Let me know how you want to handle it.