View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:29 AM

Wow, this is pretty weird because just last night I was listening to Racing Lagoon, and the first disc wasn't really doing it for me (I'll go back and give it another chance), so I switched to Shin Sangokumusou 5. I'm a little behind, I know. But, wow, I enjoyed the heck out of the music on that soundtrack. I have to say that Kensuke Inage is my hero. Every single song he did on DW6 were keepers, and two of my absolute favorites off the soundtrack came from him (Ultimate Pressure and Geniuses' Sanctuaries, the other favorite was The Two Heroes by MASA).

I guess before I look forward to DW8, I need to listen to DW7, but anyway, this post comes at a very coincidental time for me. If I have anything to hope for from the later DW installments, it's that they actually don't lengthen the songs. I like that DW supplies succinct rock songs; they're catchy and energetic and fun and they do what they need to do without dragging on about it. And I honestly feel that every single soundtrack since the second one (DW3) has totally improved upon the last (since DW2 and DW3 had basically identical music). While everything up through DW5 have been fun rockin' VGM soundtracks, DW6 brings a polish to the genre that's just really impressive.

I find it amazing how I can listen to a song from the Chang Ban level, and it's a totally different composition from the last game, no borrowed phrases or anything, but at the same I can identify it immediately as Chang Ban's music. Without becoming repetitive, the musicians capture the essence of the story behind each level, and I love that about DW music. But aah, I'm kind of going on now, so I'll just say that I'm definitely looking forward to this soundtrack with you, Red Blazer!