View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:25 AM

Okay, so was the original release date of December mistaken? I noticed it has been changed to 1/24/15. Or was this a timed exclusive and now that the first date has passed we're displaying the second? Regardless, I was certain I'd be paying twice as much for this on eBay since I don't technically have a middleman. Luckily I saw it on CD Japan and then Amazon.co.jp a day later marked down from list price to 5,268 yen on the latter. I quickly clicked 'Add to Cart' and looked for a few others of interest.

Then something strange happened. Three of the six other soundtracks in my cart had gone up in price before I clicked 'Proceed to Checkout' about a week after the initial 'click'. As I finalized the order not only did they instantly go back down to the price they had been a week ago (while remaining the higher price elsewhere on the site) the invoice stated I'll be paying 4,878 yen for the Final Fight Original Sound Collection. Not complaining, mind. Just confused as to what caused this (and looking to repeat it in the future if there's a method to be found here).

Much of this music is going to be new to me. Having played Streets of Rage 2 (Bare Knuckle 2 if you prefer) at a friend's house before owning a Genesis that game's grab mechanic made "passing through" enemies in other games give them an insubstantial feel. This effectively ruined other scrolling fighters for me and after renting Final Fight for my SNES once I never pursued the series. In way though I'm glad. I get to be initiated into the music outside it's era and sans nostalgia. Yet it will take me back, if for the first time, to the glory days of sound chips before CD quality audio ruled the gaming landscape. I'm really looking forward to it! And, man... Thinking of Koshiro's work on SoR2 vgmdb.net/album/33417 just now gets me all riled up for a good ol'-fashioned dance-fight! Anybody wanna dance-fight? Say the word- We'll dance-fight! Dance-dance-PUNCH! Kick-kick-DANCE! Jump up! Get down! Grab aaaannNNNDDDD S-P-E-C-I-A-L M-M-O-O-O-O-V-V-E!!!

But there'll be plenty of time for that later. While I'm here I'd like to inquire about something else if I may: I've read that back in the day Japanese publishing companies required game developers to use monikers instead of their real names. This was reputedly to prevent other publishers from headhunting talent. Is it a similar reason why it can be so difficult to trace works to composers? I mean, more than twenty years later Treasure CEO Masato Maegawa still won't say which of his employees worked on early Castlevania, Contra, etc. games back when they were with Konami, "...out of respect for [said company]." As commendable as it is frustrating.

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Jan 19, 2015 at 03:33 AM.