View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2021, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
I corrected the album info on the sample rate cut-off so as not to cause any confusion. It's the individual audio channels that are cut off at 16 kHz (instead of being 22.5 kHz). Hence, the tracks are cut off at 32 kHz. If the tracks were cut off at 16 kHz, Columbia would have an even bigger problem on their hands...
When someone says a track is cutoff at 16kHz, it means frequencies above 16kHz don't exist. It's incorrect to say they're cutoff at 32kHz. The sample rate is 32khz, but frequencies are always half that of the sample rate.

Think of it this way: if they were cutoff at 32khz, that would suggest the sample rate exceeds 64kHz. It would imply they're 96khz tracks, because only files with a 96kHz sample rate would have frequencies that go up to 48kHz to make a 32kHz cutoff become an issue.

There's nothing unclear about the way the comment was written. People generally know the threshold of human hearing to be 20-20000 Hz, so they'll understand that a cutoff of 16kHz falls within the audible range that they'll notice. Incorrectly stating it's a cutoff at 32kHz will simply cause confusion. I've changed the numbers back to 16. I appreciate your willingness to help, though!

Here is an image to aid you visually:
Spoiler:

The frequencies stop at around the 16kHz range. Therefore, they are cutoff at 16khz.

Last edited by sonicrings4; Dec 10, 2021 at 04:10 AM.