View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2015, 05:35 AM

Yesterday, I came up with an analogy:

"Alone, the obi has little value. It's like a dust cover for a rare book. The dust cover itself isn't worth much, but having it will increase the value of an old hardcover. First editions of Dune have asking prices all the way up to $22,000, for instance. Without the dust cover, that price would drop into the hundreds or less. And we all know a dust cover isn't actually worth the difference, just like an obi isn't.

Another similarity between the obi and the dust cover is they are not necessary. One can read a book without the dust cover, just as one can listen to a CD without the obi. However, they both offer information that is like a "zeitgeist" of sorts. I like looking at the ads on obis, just as I like reading the back of a dust cover, or admiring its artwork. It's just not the same item if it's missing a piece, even if that piece is not required."

I got to thinking further about it. Could the paint on a car be thought of as similar to an obi? Well, no. Paint is not required to drive a car, but it is functional - it protects against rust. There are things that are not necessary to grant an object its primary function, but may offer auxiliary functions. Paint is one such auxiliary thing, when applied to cars. But not when applied to indoor walls. In that case, we could do without paint. If you like paint on the wall, then you probably also like an obi with your album.