View Single Post
Old May 16, 2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadujin View Post
Just my two cents, but personally I'm not too wild about the idea of including any kind of animation into this site. It's for VGM, and that's why I like it. If the idea does go into affect, I think the two should be as separate as possible. Like a completely different site, run by anime experts. At the very least, the portal idea seems reasonable. But I agree with Kaleb that having to filter all the time just to see what you want would be cumbersome and annoying.
What he said. VGMdb is for VGM, and that's why I like it.

VGM is video game music, not anime music. I'm one of those guys who never quite understood why video game music and anime music have to always get lumped together. So they share the same country of origin and a few composers here and there. Using that same logic should we start adding movie and TV (non-animation) soundtracks, Enka, J-pop, J-rock, Japanese hip-hop, Japanese metal/hardcore, and J-jazz to the database too? Plenty of musicians from those genres have composed music for video games.

Even Wikipedia makes a clear distinction between the two separate genres. See Video game music and Music in Japanese animation. The first sentence from both entries sums it up for me: "Video game music is any of the musical pieces or soundtracks found in video games" and "Music in Japanese animation is often closely tied to the Japanese pop music industry, but is also a significant industry, and genre in its own right."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
Perhaps the idea of being associated with Anime disgusts them. Kinda like how I feel about the addition of western animation.
Sorta but I wouldn't say it "disgusts" me. However I do take offense to the idea that just because I like to play video games and listen to video game music that I automatically must be a fan of watching anime and listening to anime music. It's a stereotype that isn't always true and I feel that VGMdb is supporting the notion with the recent conversion from its VGM-only policy to the new "music of visual arts and games." I realize we had some animation music before but it was limited to game-related only, which I was fine with (Advent Children for example).

I guess I feel like I was baited and switched. Came here for a site dedicated to game music and now I have to deal with the opening of the anime floodgates. Personally I've loved video games since I was like four years old but I can't stand anime and the majority of the anime fanbase. I'm not saying that to offend anybody, it's just the way it is.

But yeah anyway. I like Justin's idea of a separate database for all the animation stuff to be ran by these so-called anime experts. Keep the sites separate but make it an option (in our account settings, so you must be logged in) to be able to link the two databases together. So if you're on VGMdb and you have the linking option enabled, you'd see all the animation stuff as well. If you're browsing AMdb (hypothetical name) and you have the option enabled, the game music would be visible. I realize that this is easy to just type up but would probably be a nightmare to actually code, especially with the artist profiles and such. Or better yet just don't link the two sites at all.