View Single Post
Old Dec 7, 2008, 04:44 PM

I have an idea that could be quite useful. Since my time being here for a few months, I've always wondered if the product statistics for the site would be implemented into the database. Unless this is something that's already been planned considering that there's a category for it in the statistics, I think it'd be a great feature to add. Could take some time to plan on how the entries would be laid out but I have a general idea of what the pages could be like.

Similar to how we have artist pages, a person could simply just click a product such as Touhou Youyoumu ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom ~, and is directed to the page where information regarding the game (that is if anyone is willing to put a information about it) can be found along with releases related to the game or based upon it. I used Touhou as an example primarily since it's one of the many games that gets arranged in the series. There's plenty of other games as well that would qualify for an entry. Only thing is though is that I can only see this kind of thing being useful for mostly Doujin / Fanmade releases as they're probably the only type of albums that have the most arrangements being done from what I've seen. There is the option of using the search engine to look for a specific game's soundtrack, except it's more time consuming with all the pages depending on what their search terms are along with it being a little inconvenient in a way.

The way the products have albums appear is use the linking system that we use, or something similar to that, and have editors/staff to go through to figure out which albums are related to which game. I think it would suit nicely into the database but would take some planning out before it can be done. The pages don't have to be all about the game itself or else it would stray away from what the intention of this site is all about, but some information regarding the game wouldn't hurt. We could possibly include people involved such as the composers who worked on the game's music and/or anyone that was involved in the process of creating music like arrangers, performers, etc.

There's plenty of more ideas that can come into mind with this kind of statistic. It's important to take care of the priorities for the site first of course before heading into this direction. Whenever time allows this to happen, you can count on everyone at VGMdb to contribute.

If this gets added into the site, you can guarantee that I'll be glad to do as much I can to help make the feature very useful. Just a few thoughts I gathered up and figured I'd share it.

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Dec 7, 2008 at 04:55 PM.