View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2020, 07:43 AM

This may unintentionally reveal how far the Remake goes, in terms of plot.

The track titles of the Remake music is identical (so far) to the original. That said, tracks 1-7 are well within the boundaries of the first Midgar scenario. However, track 8 is "Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY VII", which as we know is the original game's world map theme. In that game, entering the world map doesn't actually happen till the Midgar scenario ends, as it's the beginning of the Kalm/Cloud's Nibelheim flashbacks scenario.

While the end of Midgar would serve as a functional endpoint of Remake Episode 1, so would the flashbacks. I haven't looked at any of the spoiler stuff that has leaked, so let's leave it out of this thread! I was merely pointing out what this tracklist shows.

On another note: the Remake multi-episode plan means rethinking how the soundtrack would have been produced. Will the main battle theme and boss theme, which will appear in Remake 1, be re-used in future episodes? Or will they be a completely new arrangement in each game? To me it makes far more sense to re-use, since other assets like character models will be re-used (and from a developer perspective you're getting a great return on re-used assets in a multi-episode set of games).

I'm dying to know who the arrangers are. Certainly they've hired an army just like with FF15, and the vast majority of the music will be live. Clips of the music from the demo clearly show that single tracks of music have multiple versions and dynamically change depending on the situation (as is common these days). We still don't know for sure Uematsu's involvement; first he didn't want to do it, then he did sign on and did some work, but then took a "leave of absence" from September 2018. Surely his employees continued working. I bet we see Yoshitaka Suzuki back for sure, and Shota Nakama, who helmed the arranging of most of Shimomura's work for 15, could be back as well. I keep hoping for Naoshi Mizuta and Mitsuto Suzuki to take a bigger role in mainline Final Fantasy, because I think they're the best Square's got.