View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
What I'm trying to solve is where the user wants to include (or more likely exclude) vocal albums from his searches, so we need some kind of classification to catch those albums that are full vocal (until we have percentages).
This is also what I'm most interested in, since like I expressed in another thread I feel the classification is more useful if it informs users of content that is not part of the original soundtrack (which I feel is why we have two separate classifications anyway). It's like the example given about Dissidia, and how it's not classified as an arrange even though it arranges Final Fantasy themes. We could label it an arrange, but I think this will give users the wrong impression about the nature of the release. Similarly, like you said here:

Quote:
What kind of rule could we come up with to prevent over saturation of the vocal classification? Would we use something like "OP+ED Themes don't count as vocals if they are on an original soundtrack" and maybe "Image songs count as Image/Prototype and not Vocal unless they span more than X% of the album."
is probably a good idea, because it informs users of the nature of the release. If a vocal piece is used in an original soundtrack, then it's part of the soundtrack like any other song. Imagine classifying all original soundtracks as "instrumental" just because they contained songs with no vocals. Maybe it sounds silly, but it would be the same thing.

Oh, and also:

Quote:
Aside, do we need a Compilation classification?
I think it would be cool, maybe users don't care to own "best of" albums, but the album titles might be descriptive of this anyway. Maybe not something we need.