View Single Post
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:01 AM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
1) Each country has different copyright law, and different rules for mechanical licensing. No copyright law is international.

There are some countries, which does have similar compulsory mechanical licensing scheme. For example, Japan, Germany, Taiwan, Australia, have such licensing rule, but you might not automatically obtain the permission to arrange like the US copyright law grants.

4) If you are considering worldwide distribution, then your best chance to go to the copyright owner or their representatives directly.

5) Streaming may require different licensing from physical records, or permanent-download-based digital record.
I would be curious as to why , if this is the case (and I know that it is, I did research on this before creating covers years ago) why it is that large corporations like Spotify, Amazon.com , etc automatically start selling and distributing this music on a world-wide bases then, even though the music is digitally marked as being a cover, and records from the licensing agency would show the music was granted a compulsory license from the States. As far as I can tell, there is no control that the artist has over which territories the music is sold in once it hits distrubtion via whatever channel the artist used as a sales tool.