View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2019, 07:05 PM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
To Jazz Paladin:

Unfortunately, no copyright law is international.

iTune SHOULD NOT sell or stream at iTune US, or other iTunes around the world, as it is the violation of license.
If iTune automatically start selling or streaming at iTunes around the world, then I have to reccomend not to use such service, as YOU are liable for unlicensed reproduction and distribution of music.

Thanks for getting back. I am just curious as to whether or not there may be a legal solution for mmMike.

I usually listen to random streaming of VGM music on Spotify, and came across a tune that sounded interesting last night. I looked at the title, and it was apparently from Mother 3, which was never released in the US. So it got me wondering if this is just a case of an unscrupulous arranger who decided to go ahead and release the music to the public, or there was indeed a legal method that was employed.

However, it does seem (based on what I have experienced, and also in your previous description that there are at least SOME circumstances in which it seems iTunes itself is directly obtaining (seemingly appropriate) licenses for international cover songs. You metioned "If a cover artist is to use a piece controled by JASRAC, the shops are the responsible payer of the royaly."

Have you ever checked on iTunes or any other foreign websites to see if anything of yours has shown up? Just curious if you would find anything indicating that some things are happening without your approval , especially if it means that royalties are not being collected.