View Single Post
Old May 15, 2021, 11:30 AM
Trusted Editor

Default Best releases of 2020 (both game and anime!)

Hmm, somehow I was hoping that someone else would open this thread at some point. But I guess that didn't happen... *sigh*

Anyway, I was pretty busy in December. Changed my employer, moved house, had a bunch of trouble getting internet connection at my new place. Didn't have the time to listen to a lot of music, yet alone create this thread. Well, doing it now has given me (and probably you as well) some time to fully take in the year 2020.

I want to try something different this time. In the 2019 thread and also in the others before the focus was on VGM alone. However I noticed that a large part of 2020 music I listened to was from animation, so I've compiled two ordered lists, one for video game and the other one for animation music.

Video game:
01. Ori and the Will of the Wisps Original Soundtrack Recording (Gareth Coker)
02. NieR Orchestral Arrangement Album - Addendum (Monaca)
03. Raillore no Ryakudatsusha Special Compilation Soundtrack (mamomo)
04. Evergate Soundtrack (M.R. Miller)
05. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Original Soundtrack
06. Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends and the Secret Fairy Original Soundtrack (Gust Sound Team)
07. Touken Ranbu -Online- Kinji Music Collection Vol. 3 (Akiko Shikata and Ryota Tomaru)
08. Symphonic Memories Concert - music from Square Enix (Nobuo Uematsu, Yoko Shimomura and others)
09. Square Enix Jazz -Final Fantasy VII- (Eijiro Nakagawa and Ryu Kawamura)
10. Chrono Cross 20th Anniversary Live Tour 2019 Radical Dreamers (Yasunori Mitsuda)
11. Genshin Impact - The Wind and the Star Traveler (Yu-Peng Chen)
12. Goonya Fighter Original Soundtrack (Hayato Asano)
13. Various Daylife Original Soundtrack (Go Shiina)
14. Final Fantasy VII Remake Original Soundtrack (Square Enix Sound Team and others)

And I still have the KH3 album lying on my desk. In case you were wondering why it's missing here.

Animation:
01. Vinland Saga Original Soundtrack (Yutaka Yamada)
02. Great Pretender Original Soundtrack (Yutaka Yamada)
03. Tamayomi Original Soundtrack (Shinji Orito, Jun Maeda and others)
04. Violet Evergarden: Echo Through Eternity (Evan Call)
05. Yuki Kajiura Live Tour Vol. #15 (Yuki Kajiura, who else?!)
06. Somali and the Forest Spirit Original Soundtrack (Ryo Yoshimata)
07. Princess Principal The Live Yuki KajiuraƗVoid_Chords (Ryo Takahashi and Yuki Kajiura)
08. Das Girls and Panzer Symphonie (Shiro Hamaguchi, also it's Die Symphonie for christ's sake...)
09. Oshibudo Original Soundtrack (Moe Hygua)
10. Cautious Hero: The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious Original Soundtrack (Yoshiaki Fujisawa, this entry is represenative for the two OST volumes)
11. Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Original Soundtrack (Nobuko Toda and Kazuma Jinnouchi)
12. Drifting Dragons Original Soundtrack (Masaru Yokoyama)
13. O Maidens in Your Savage Season Original Soundtrack (Moe Hygua)

As always keep in mind that these orders are highly volatile. If I had made the list yesterday the order might be different.

What do you think? What are your favorite albums from 2020?

Last edited by LiquidAcid; May 15, 2021 at 12:09 PM.