View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:45 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Default Separate track names and subtitles

I've been thinking this for a while, and now I hear tracklist data in going to be modified it may be a good time.

Quite a number of albums have printed track names along subtitles/descriptions that aren't part of the actual name, but still are official info we should have here imo. My idea is that we could take accuracy a step further and have a separate field to store these descriptions. Then they could be displayed like "trackname (in white) subtitle (in gray)" plus you could choose display/hide them in the options (useful for external taggers and those who don't want them).

Right now we have these subs like "trackname (subtitle)", "trackname - subtitle" and similar variations, but often these don't quite match the original. Ex.- Cave albums have simply "trackname subtitle", but other do have "trackname (subtitle)". This way we could have them closer how they are written (yes, I'm anal enough to care about that).

Some albums do display these descriptions smaller, in a softer color or such to denote they are not part of the name, but still they are shown consistently in different scans, official sites, etc that I think they are official and important to keep them. Examples from my head: Cave albums, Shadow Hearts series, many SNK albums...

Now it may be hard to modify the tables and pages just for that, so maybe an alternate solution would be some kind of a internal delimiter character marking when the subs start. Sometimes it can be debatable when albums have subtitles but for many other it's fairly evident.

Any thoughts?