View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:29 AM

The recordings for the TV show were done with a much smaller group, and have a generally thinner sound. On top of that, the performance quality is lower. I'd say they shouldn't really be compared, though. I'd rather compare this soundtrack to that of the first new movie, which was performed by the same group.

In "In My Spirit," listen to the chimes that come in at the beginning of every two measures. The first few times you can hear them fine, but when the brass enters, they become near inaudible, despite the volume not changing signifiantly (trust me, they're still there throughout). Once the choir comes in, the whole thing sounds very strained. You say that it "still allows individual parts to shine where needed," but the problem is that parts that should be heard throughout drop out and fade, and the whole thing sounds strained.

Go back to the score for the first movie, to a cue like "Angel of Doom" (which admittedly uses slightly smaller forces), and you can hear the difference. The volume levels seem much more natural, and the mix not as crushed.

Edit: Oh, and just so I don't come across as argumentative, if you're fine with the way it sounds, good for you. I'm just wondering whether or not other people had the same experiences I did, that's all.

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Apr 29, 2011 at 08:39 AM.