View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
My favorite song was "Carystas,"
Hah, I wasn't alone! I honestly thought that track was the best, and I voted it so, but it's hard to say when looking at these tracks as being "the best" even for the theme. In the real world, we'd have more to work on; art, game demos and the like. We could give suggestions and we'd get feedback to say that it's right or it isn't. So in the end, we would have less time to work on individual tracks (when counted together) but more time to get the general feel, which is so important.

I found this comp one of the bigger challenges, since I normally write for happier themes, so I'm presuming other people had difficulty too and didn't really shine where they could have. It'll be interesting in later days to see what tracks we can come up with, and hopefully something great will come from it.

Quote:
"One of the reasons I liked it better than "Certain Uncertainty" is that it never lets up.
I have to say I don't think that really defines a "game track". Infact, a good piece of music can do anything and go anywhere it wants and people will love it. For example, John Williams (as is entitled on my winamp) does his own version of the Zelda Theme which, apart from being a bit soft on instrument choice, compositionally, it's really good. To it he added a mellow "let down", which only helped to compliment the track more by not being monotonous. I think when you ask for a main theme from a composer, they're thinking about every emotion that might be in the story, and that's the reason for the "let down", it's merely to give the story and equally the track some depth.

Just my opinion of course, I tend to find that people disagree with me on these thing, haha!

Debeat's track was really good and she(?) deserved a place in the rankings even if her production wasn't as good. It's composition combat after all, not production combat, so I'm glad she placed.

I'm not sure about the judges thing. I still say it would be fairer, but we'll see how it plays out. This comp was a bit odd to say the least and maybe we were lucky it worked out? Time will tell I guess.

Great to hear your opinion Quinten and congrats all round, hope to see everyone next time.

"and God bless us, every one!"

Last edited by Omnomnomnom; Dec 20, 2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Added the John Williams thing 'cause it popped into my head