View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:55 AM

Congrats man!

Quote:
I believe that production *should* be a part of the selling point. Production, while not a part of songwriting, is as much a part of the finished product as any other element in music. If you don't want to count production, because it's only composition, then we might as well count out orchestration and structure as well, since they're just as related. On that note - ANYONE can learn what they're doing and get a decent sound without dumping thousands of dollars into a studio. It's not like half the competitors are recording on 4-track tapes or anything. I can say with confidence that provided a computer, someone can get just as professional quality sounds as my song for less than $500.
Hmm... good point actually. I mean, you kinda make it sound as if $500 isn't a lot to some people, but I know what you're saying, that your track could be done for well under that as long as they had even a semi-decent rig to work on and to be fair, if they're serious about it they should really find a way to invest in their equipment. As long as they're able, there's absolutely no argument there. I wouldn't and don't count out production, I just think people can put too much emphasis on it where that emphasis shouldn't be. Prodcution plays a bigger role for some than others. For a start, the general audience wouldn't be able to say if the high end is too much or the low end is too low. Even if there's a problem with the way the track is produced that's clear to us, the general audience (by which I mean more than 50%) is less likely to notice it. They're much more likely to notice the vocals if there are any and after that the overall melody. Your track can be produced brilliantly, but still be boring or have a horrible tune and people won't like it. After you've reached a certain point in production, everything more is just bonus to the audience. I don't think it works the other way around though.

The way I see it, there's a difference between production as an instrument itself and production as a means to bring out a track. Dabeat, for example, wasn't aiming for production as an instrument, but the quality of the writing (I'm... assuming here of course, Dabeat might say otherwise, lol), and if you took that track as is and ran it through some of today's movie standard VSTs it would sound 100 times better. That's not a production thing, that's a money thing. With those VSTs, there's no extra talent involved to get them to sound good. After understanding how to mix the instruments together and tweak attack and such, they'll sound amazing. Hence why I'd put more emphasis on the writing with a classical piece or indeed any genre, than the way it's produced.

I don't know if I'm making myself clear... I believe production is important for anyone who will have to completely churn out their track from start to finish, which is where I was confusing the term "compositin combat", figured that lessened the amount of production that was expected. If we're talking full on completion of a track, then yeah, I guess I agree. If we're talking about someone's ability to compose music, then I think the emphasis is more 70% writing and 30% production, if even that.

Last edited by Omnomnomnom; Dec 22, 2009 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Just fixed a spelling mistake.