View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonEnRegalia View Post
If the second album is anything like the Landstalker album release, then the tracks on that album just have upgraded sound quality? Are the tracks on the album actually any different in instrumentation and arrangement structure? I'm interested in this album myself.
It's not really like Landstalker. Landstalker was a weird album that sourced the original Megadrive sound for the body of the tracks, but augmented it here and there with a few extra general MIDI synth elements, like drums and choir. Never actually heard another album like it.
Dark Savior's album is a more conventional case: none of the tracks feature the music as heard via the Saturn sound chip. The instrumentation and arrangements are the same, but they're all rendered with standard synth sources. In some cases, this results in a more polished sound - in others, the particular charm of the Saturn sound is lost in the transition to generic synth ensemble.
For all I know, these could actually be Hiroshi Kondo's original tracks, before they were converted for the Saturn. No way to know, but that's about how close they sound to the in-game versions.
It's also worth noting that this album is sadly incomplete. About 25% of the game's music didn't make it on here.

And yeah, Dark Savior was a great game. Had a ton of problems, but also had a totally unique feel, and really interesting design. Would love to see it brought back.