View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2021, 03:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

I can't check everything
That discussion is old or at least don't analyze the problem in the right focus, so I think we (mods, trusted and users) should update rules about this.
As said in the past, about the 95% of digital releases have different mastering from their analog counterparts and digital themselves, so we "should" unchild almost all stuff in database.
The real focus to consider is why differentiate a remaster if the contents recorded are the same between releases?
Almost all digital releases have noise reduction, digital cut, digital compressors, filters, etc.. compared old analog transfers.
I can take a digital mp3/wav or an old tape rip and adjust frequencies, fixed glitches, and so "remaster" them digitally. But the source was the SAME, it came from results of the the old processes recorded from first trasnfers from analog master > example: from master tapes to digital DATs, you could loose frequencies (due DATs limit themselves), dynamics, and if you remaster a CD from DATs you'll start from something that was already lost in the "first process" (master tape to DAT); that because "cooking" an analog tape it's not a simple process and have lot of risks in deteriorating/damaging it.
While a new mastering transfer start from a new "cooking" the old analog tape, virtually it's different... I can say exactly all the difference between Lupin digital and analog prints or digitals themselves, we should unchild everything.
It's simple, you'll take a wave analyzer and you'll find where they did corrections, and if the transfers comes from the same source or from differents, that's why I support to link/child everything based only on contents (song/bgm) list and not how they edit/remastered it cause virtually they (engineers) changed always something which could't be perceptible by human ears

Last edited by depa; Apr 17, 2021 at 03:15 AM.