View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:08 PM

I really don't know what was discussed in the past so it could have been already considered (yet killed), but isn't it bad to have a dedicated line to edit capitalization and whatnot? Another justification for this is given by the necessity of keeping the album names (especially from the same series) consistent, something we already do for the catalog numbers. The current display line might have been designed for this purpose, but I think we tend to avoid having two lines where only the difference is capitalizing variation and delete one of them (and to begin with, I myself would replace one of them with the Japanese). I also prefer we redefine the Original line, because we more often than not add the Japanese title to this line, while it's not clear that the Japanese is the original.

Display: Write whatever but be consistent with other entries.
English: Write the title in English. No discretion if printed on the cover.
Japanese: Write the title in Japanese. No discretion if printed on the cover.
Romaji: Romanize the title. No discretion if printed on the cover.
Alternate: Write something useful for searching (e.g. Western game name).

In case people feel uncomfortable with five lines, we can hide some lines at each album page (English is likely). This may look too complex, but in fact, we've already been submitting the Organizations in a similar way and the artist also has the Kanji and Hiragana fields. The biggest obstacle, however, is much time and energy to optimize the existing 18k albums.