View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2015, 09:53 AM

I agree 100% with what you said, and it's fueled by 1) an appeal to being sort of counter-culture and special, the feeling of specialness enhanced by a large proportion of records released these days being limited editions, and 2) by the provably scientifically false belief that vinyl offers, not only better sound than a CD, but the ultimate in sound quality. Even if the dedicated vinyl audiophiles don't make up a majority, they're such vocal advocates of vinyl that I suspect most who buy records have at least heard that opinion and have incorporated it on some level in their idea of the format, even if they don't think about it much. Some proponents admit it has more distortions but that they just like the sound of them, which is valid and I appreciate the honesty, but to me, if the point is to enjoy analog distortions, go big or go home -- gimme a tape of chiptune music!

I kind of hate that some of these things look to me like attractive things to buy because I'm still susceptible to the idea that it's kinda "neat" and cool to have. I haven't bought any yet, but that would surely change the moment something by Sakimoto came out on vinyl... And of course, I'd be one of those people who wouldn't play it or likely even open it. Grr. (Not that I would resell it and scalp people though, that's not very nice.)