View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:37 AM

I think SEMO is well organizing their formats and overall tones despite multiple reviewers, so I suppose you could get some instructions from the site leaders to submit something that is at least 'good' by their standard. I remember their past reviewers who aren't active anymore were also pretty good and insightful.

However, one attempt that could be interesting to consider is to omit your personal preference and talk about less subjective matters. This is one of the few Eastern reviewing sites and the author (who I think is easily one of the best reviewers in the world, not only of the VGM community, but of all) actually doesn't mention so much as to whether he likes the track in question or not - instead he details how the track is used in the game, introduces lots of anecdotes about the soundtrack production, and then leave some opinions with little negativity. He usually only use basic musical terms, and it's mostly about instrumentation, synthesizer/performance quality, motif, and meter if any, while he's definitely capable of talking more and could be pedantic (and I always wish he exposed such ). I don't say his style is ultimate, but certainly believe he never fails to offer a great read to anyone, and every time I read through his works, I feel like being enlightened.

Of course, such a great piece of writing requires lots of times, and perhaps it's impossible to maintain a regularly updated website. I'm also aware Western reviewers are more lacking in chance to get the in-game context and information on the sound production of an Eastern game, though the exact opposite is true with Western games.