View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Whoever arranged Grape Gardens for sure also arranged Butter Building for Epic Yarn, and both of those originals are from Adventure so Ando's attractive.
yeah i suppose that they're originally Ando's songs helps matters. in the Iwata Asks interview, Ando talked about "using his hands" or something along those lines, by playing as many instruments as he could when composing. In the Butter Building arrangement that melodica that you can see him playing on the video was used. he also mentions being accomplished on the electone in that smash bros staff interview from years ago, so i think most songs where you can clearly hear live piano across kirby games is his work.

I think what also helps though is that Ishikawa's music often sounds (to me) quite clinical and it's often entirely electronic/sample based and mouse-sequenced. Even with Ando's sequenced soundtracks like SSB you can tell some of it was played in live. I'd put money on all the "classic" sounding songs with retro samples being Ishikawa's work, while the majority of the fully produced ones with synths (and certainly the orchestrated ones) are Ando's -- but not all of them. We can always cross-reference to other soundtracks and songs that we know they're individually responsible for. There's a bunch of other little musical things I notice as well, just consistent things that the composers each do on their respective scores. probably too annoying to try and sum up here, and maybe other people notice different things to me.

having an absolute tracklist to do this with would definitely make life easier