View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:17 AM

I was rather disappointed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepak's review at Play site
At seven months too late, the CD/DVD combo finally arrived.

About the only thing that I can't fault is the booklet - detailed, colorful, with information about both the performing artists and the game music itself.

The rest is more of a hit and miss: The CD is 74 minutes long and unfortunately omits some key material (e.g. Amiga suite). The performances are OK, though they lack the force of the live event (I_was_there_ when this CD was being recorded, I _know_). The Commodore 64 Medley seems particularly weak when compared to all-synth efforts from C64audio.com and their friends (e.g. the Press Play On Tape band). I can't help but regret that such a large portion of the CD is filled with music which is available in pretty much the same form on other CDs (World of Warcraft, Halo).

It came as a huge surprise that the CD is in fact a CD-R. I thought it looked cheap and now I know why - it's just a CD-R (Moser Baer India) with a printed label, nothing more.

It's even worse with the DVD - it is also a recordable, not a pressed disc, and at slightly under 21 minutes (900 MB) a major disappointment. It doesn't even contain a menu! I find the note on the back cover that "the main reason of the recording was for audio and not video" - that's not what I was told when I inquired at the event. I can only speculate that the mishandling of promotion of the event and resulting low attendance (in the end the concert was free and _still_ the hall wasn't even quarter-full) forced Play to switch from the original "DVD video with a music CD as a bonus" to "A music CD with a DVD video bonus".

Overall, this is a major disappointment. Of the twelve tracks, only three are worth having and AFAIK impossible to get elsewhere (Opening Fanfare, Battlefield [with Rony Barrak, whose performance was a great deal more satisfying live than on this CD], Oblivion) and one so-so (Commodore 64 Medley). At $35 price tag it would be expensive even as a professionally created product, and in the form of CDR/DVDR, it is decidedly overpriced. I am sorry, but I can't recommend this CD :-((