View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:16 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Hm, I wonder if I should have done these one at a time. Well, I'll respond to a couple now, and work my way through them.

Quote:
Standardize the mapping of monospace characters to the Latin charset equivalent for display titles.
We've been following this guideline for a while, so I accepted it. I just need to add it to the instructions.

Quote:
Standardizing the inclusion of names in artist albums (e.g., Hoshizora no Sakamichi / Haruka Shimotsuki)
This is only intended for artist albums, particularly albums that are marketed as single or full album releases from a vocalist.

I see Cedille's point about the use of slash in A-side/B-side releases, but I am not sure I can think of anything better than a slash. Also, I'm in the camp that prefers the artist name at the end.

A rationale for including the artist name comes from classical music. If you have a CD containing Beethoven's First Symphony, the title is just "First Symphony." However, that is not a very useful title for pulling this album from a page of other albums titled "First Symphony." So, "First Symphony / Ludwig van Beethoven" is more descriptive and useful. Granted, classical music might not be the best source for an example; there are other bits of info like conductor and orchestra that could also enhance the title, and in fact you'd probably present the search results in a different manner than we do if you were cataloging that genre.