View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Shan Lung View Post
better to buy original, hard copies and support the companies who produce these things for us to enjoy.
Funny, you know, in the past i would have countered this argument with something like:
Quote:
I've purchased the product the music got written for in the first place, thus... in a way... I've already showed my support to the company and everyone else involved in the music creation. Why would i have to pay twice for something i've already got the right to listen?
We've got a pretty weak text there, i know, especially since some soundtrack comes with different arrangements/remixes/other exclusive tracks... but still, back then this helped me to not feel entirely bad..... Forgot to mention also that the treatment given to some of these official releases, in terms of mastering/related stuff, wasn't very good... Pretty hard to believe that you've got to pay money for them.

I personally don't condemn piracy, and whilst my previous statement about not really needing to have THAT album still holds some truth to it, there are other things to consider which slightly "justify" piracy, in my humble opinion:

- Most obvious reason ~ music isn't getting an official release and if you really want it you have to crack the audio codec/format and illegally rip it off the source.
- Region-locked exclusives/Limited edition enclosure ~ the first examples that come to my mind are some Japanese iTunes-only releases.... And different content between the various limited editions.... Or again shortened soundtracks releases which didn't include X tracks because of copyright/licensing issues.

Illegal sharing is a problem, but not the biggest one. My only real issue with the whole thing can be found within the users on piracy's receiving-end: they're lucky enough to obtain goodies illegally, for free, and they dare to complain about them not being in the desired quality/format. Oh, well, at least such people is a testament to the fact that i'm not the only scum around, there's a lot of crap between the downloaders, too.

Last edited by ilef; Jan 12, 2012 at 06:23 AM.