View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
do the Saturn-exclusive tracks also have bad mastering?
They are louder too, though not as bad as the Rondo of Blood examples I listed or Festival of Servants. In my opinion, the mastering gets particularly bad in rock/orchestral pieces with very intense peaks and/or busy sections. It's better on average than, say, Castlevania Judgment and Harmony of Despair, and about equiparable to the PS2 Castlevanias.

Quote:
It's no surprise that Rondo of Blood sounds flatter than the original release since it's likely the same as the one featured on the DXC soundtrack which most of us seem to agree is the inferior sounding release.
I just checked this on Amazon Music HD and you seem to be right on the money, even the track length matches the PCE OST on the DXC album perfectly and also includes the same "Extra Tracks". I'll add that Castlevania X68000 also sounds louder than KMCA-104~5, while on streaming sites it doesn't.

Quote:
Also, in regards to the SotN MIDI disc being "mostly spared," does that mean that some of the tracks featured on it were still given the same treatment? I figured it was just a reprint of Midi Power Pro 6 and the SotN tracks from the Akumajo Dracula MIDI collection.
Compared to MIDI Power Pro 6, the volume is a tad boosted in the 2021 disc and the dynamic range is slightly lower, making the louder passages sound more squashed (most noticeable in busier arrangements like Strange Bloodlines). I'd rather listen to the original print, but it could have been much worse.

Last edited by 《J》; Feb 5, 2022 at 04:59 PM.