View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:44 AM

Default Ys IV composer breakdown

The time has come to put an end to one of the oldest mysteries of all VGM: a (possible and almost complete) composer breakdown of "Ys IV" - one of the best soundtracks in the entire series and (IMO!) a masterpiece of VGM. The content of this post is the result of a few days of investigation, now that I have a bit of free time to do so.

A bit of backstory:

Quote:
· Sometime around 1992/3, Falcom wrote up a basic story/scenario and composed the soundtrack (composed by Falcom's internal sound team, the Falcom Sound Team J.D.K.) for "Ys IV", and then gave them to Tonkin House (Mask of the Sun) and Hudson Soft (The Dawn of Ys) to make their own versions of the game. A version of Mask of the Sun for the Sega-CD was also planned under the Sega-Falcom joint development agreement, but it was never released. The end result is that you have two versions of Ys IV, neither of which was actually made by Falcom. Tonkin House's offering (Mask of the Sun) stuck to Falcom's outline while Hudson took the outline, then took liberties and gave us The Dawn of Ys. Both games tell the same general story using the same general cast of characters, but beyond the basics the games are very different. MotS was released on the Super Nintendo in November of 1993, while TDoY was released in December of the same year on the PC Engine CD.

· Falcom released a year later (1994) three Perfect Collection albums, containing a total of 55 tracks (+ 3 Super Mega Mixes) arranged by Ryo Yonemitsu. The Perfect Collections follows the naming scheme and track order of the PC Engine CD version.

· It is believed (or speculated by fans) that the music on both the Ys IV J.D.K. Special and the Falcom Special Box '95 (Ys IV J.D.K. Special Part 2, disc 3) was the source that Falcom gave to Hudson Soft (The Dawn of Ys) and Tonkin House/Advance Communication/CUBE (Mask of the Sun) to make their versions instead. Those tracks were produced with FM Synthesis (i.e. likely done on PC-98 hardware, as it sounds very similar to Falcom computer games of the same era), and they are the closest thing you will find to an original soundtrack of "Ys IV" (i.e. pure, original sound versions not arranged by someone other than Falcom's own composers).
As some of you people may know, Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys has a Developer's Room in where you can watch all the animated movies, see some unused stuff and also talk with the Hudson's staff who worked on this game (and also read some hilarious stuff). There's also a monster who says he'll play any song from the game you would like to hear, but in the end he doesn't. What a tease!

What most people don't seem to know (i.e. no one unless you're a die-hard Falcom nutcase from East Asia completely obsessed with their glorious Sound Team) is that DoY has ANOTHER debug mode according to this Chinese blog post (in which you CAN actually hear all the CD-DA/PSG songs with some kind of in-game music player!). The post itself didn't draw my attention... until I saw THIS:

If you didn't know, that "KIM" thing is actually the alias of Naoki Kaneda - one of the four composers that joined to the Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. in 1992 (and thus resulting in some of my all-time favourite Falcom scores: Brandish 2 and 3, Ys IV and V, LoH III and IV...). Then there's also this thing I found on an area called "Cemetery" while playing Brandish 3...

His birthday on VGMdb coincides with the in-game date. With isdapi's post + this, we can pretty much confirm at this point that KIM = Naoki Kaneda.

What impressed (or left me utterly SHOCKED and confused!) me the most was... why there was a mention to "KIM" in The Dawn of Ys, a game not developed by Falcom themselves? The blog post mentioned Sugimo, so I decided to lurk around the archives of his "Falcom Daisuki!" website and found THIS page. Look at all these codes - Google Translate doesn't allows me to make out very much, but from what I can understand, looks like these codes are actually suspected composer codes. It seems that Hudson left untouched the original filenames of the songs that Falcom sent to them in order to make their versions instead for The Dawn of Ys, a "mistake" they just made my fucking life as this may be the closest thing that ever existed to a Ys IV composer breakdown.

So, in summary, this is all we have so far:

Spoiler:
01 NAG_005 Termination (Ys II) (CD-DA)
02 KIM_109 Fountain of Love '93 (PSG)
03 NAG_001 The Syonin (Ys I) (PSG)
04 NAG_002 Tears of Sylph (Ys I) (PSG)
05 NAG_004 Lilia (Ys II) (PSG)
06 AYS_428 Resurrection Ceremony (CD-DA)
07 KIM_106 The Dawn of Ys (CD-DA)
08 AS_050  Promalock (PSG)
09 KIM_004 The Syobainin (PSG)
10 AYS_418 Tear of a Young Swordsman (PSG)
11 AYS_408 Karna (PSG)
12 AYS_420 Romun Empire (PSG)
13 NAJ_027 Field (CD-DA)
14 MSR_029 ULTRAMAN LEOOOOO I Want to be Kind (PSG)
15 BOY_124 Broken Hourglass (PSG)
16 AYS_419 Dungeon (CD-DA)
17 AS_058  Battle #58 (CD-DA)
18 NAJ_011 Game Over (PSG)
19 AYS_405 Lava Area ~ A Kiss From Eldeel (CD-DA)
20 BOY_119 Five Loyal Retainers (PSG)
21 MSR_032 Far Beyond The Sun but actually audible A Great Ordeal (CD-DA)
22 AYS_422 Family of Darkness (PSG)
23 AYS_403 The Great Forest of Celceta (CD-DA)
24 KIM_003 Beyond Reminiscence (PSG)
25 SB-206  Burning Sword (CD-DA)
26 AYS_411 Wise Man (PSG)
27 AYS_427 Ancient Legend (PSG)
28 MSR_003 Leeza (PSG)
29 BOY_229 Walking the Path of Legend (CD-DA)
30 KIM_033 Leeza ~ Hiding her Thoughts in her Heart (PSG)
31 AYS_415 Sanctuary (CD-DA)
32 ???????? Eldeel (ADPCM)
33 KIM_060 Valley of Quicksand (CD-DA)
34 KIM_107 Tension (PSG)
35 KIM_058 Crimson Wings (CD-DA)
36 NAG_003 Rest in Piece (Ys I) (PSG)
37 ???????? Feena (Ys I) (ADPCM)
38 NAG_006 Tower of the Shadow of Death (Ys I) (CD-DA)
39 ???????? The Last Moment of the Dark (Ys I) (ADPCM)
40 KIM_024 Theme of Adol 1993 (CD-DA)
41 AYS_414 House (PSG)
42 KIM_023 Harlequin's Temptation (CD-DA)
43 AYS_421 Illusion (CD-DA)
44 BOY_234 Sadness (PSG)
45 AYS_425 Lefance (CD-DA)
46 AYS_434 Quickening of the Ancient City (CD-DA)
47 KIM_112 The Ancient City Surfaces (CD-DA)
48 BOY_126 Bronze District (CD-DA)
49 BOY_231 Poem of the Blue Moon (PSG)
50 MSR_030 Temple of the Sun (CD-DA)
51 AYS_426 Arem (CD-DA)
52 KIM_008 In the Fires of Ignition (CD-DA)
53 KIM_108 The Final Decisive Battle (CD-DA)
54 KIM_111 A New Beginning (CD-DA)
55 AYS_417 Fantasy Horizon (CD-DA)
----------------------------------------------------------------
According to Sugimo:
KIM = Naoki Kaneda (?)
AYS = Atsushi Shirakawa (?)
MSR = Masaru Nakajima
BOY = Takahiro Tsunashima (?)
AS, SB, NAJ, ??? = unknown, not clear.
NAG = Looks like reprises from Ys I and II
Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. members around that time: Mieko Ishikawa, Atsushi Shirakawa, Hirofumi Matsuoka, Masaru Nakajima, Naoki Kaneda and Takahiro Tsunashima.

Falcom games released around the same time frame:
[...]
(1993.03.12) Brandish 2: The Planet Buster (PC-9801) <- First game in which Hirofumi Matsuoka, Masaru Nakajima, Naoki Kaneda and Takahiro Tsunashima are officially credited.
(1993.11.09) Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (SFC)
(1993.12.22) Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC Engine CD)

(1994.02.18) Dragon Slayer VIII: The Legend of Xanadu (PC Engine CD)
(1994.03.18) The Legend of Heroes III: White Witch (PC-9801)
[...]
My theory:
KIM = Naoki Kaneda (pretty much confirmed)
AYS = Atsushi Shirakawa. AYS is the closest code to his name, and the number codes are higher than the ones from the other composers. Shirakawa also joined to Falcom before these four composers, so... yeah.
MSR, NAJ = Masaru Nakajima. Also, his blog address is http://shibuya.cool.ne.jp/naj/
BOY = Takahiro Tsunashima. According to both the Ys IV J.D.K. Special and the The Legend of Xanadu J.D.K. Special (booklet p. 02-03 on both), this guy has an alias: タカ, which would mean something very close to Taka-boy. Here's a photo I took from the LoX album.

No sign of Mieko Ishikawa and Hirofumi Matsuoka. Maybe they didn't compose for "Ys IV", or maybe one of them is AS or SB.

TL;DR: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys has suspected composer codes in it. Shirakawa and Kaneda freaking killed it with this one. Naoki Kaneda is the GOAT (I must simply check-out his post-Sound Team jdk output!).

I might be overthinking it or just plain wrong, so feel free to say what you think/have in mind and if you agree or not - I look forward to discussing this with you all!

P.S. So, should we edit all the Ys IV albums and add the known credits at the notes? ;p

Last edited by 《J》; May 10, 2015 at 08:04 AM.