View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
Trusted Editor

It doesn't matter what it describes, whether it's the song or a location or the temperature when the song was composed in Nagasaki. If it's written as part of the track title, it's part of the track title. You can't just arbitrarily remove part of a track title because you think it doesn't belong.

What happens when you have track titles that are just "STAGE 2 BOSS"? Does that get removed so you have no track title at all? No.

There is far too much ambiguity in all of the standards here. I'm fine if people don't think that (area name) belongs in the track titles. I'm fine if people want to hunt down specific composer contributions to soundtracks with composer groups or cds with no specific breakdown. I'm fine if people want to modify small formatting changes like ~blah~ to (blah). I'm fine if people want to correct typos like "Arrenge" to "Arrange". But ultimately all those things are personal preference. You cannot argue with the contents of the physical media for which we're creating a database entry. The physical medium is canon. What is says is canon. It doesn't matter if it's ambiguous, incomplete, wrong or unnecessary. Those are the things that belong in the database, and if people want to include information that is not on the physical medium, or change information on the physical medium, then they can do that but it's by personal preference.

This is why I proposed a canon and non-canon field for artists, because removing something like "Falcom Sound Team jdk" and replacing it with the actual composers is wrong when compared to the album. It's not wrong, because it's more accurate than the generic "Falcom Sound Team jdk", but it's ultimately wrong when compared to the source.

I don't really make standards decisions but no standard will ever be enforceable or accurate if we're accounting for these variations in peoples' personal preferences for things like that. The only 100% true standard that can be enforced and equally applied to all entries is to say that the actual media for which we create an entry is canon, and all other sources are non-canon.