View Single Post
Old May 25, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFGalaxy View Post
Where did this convention come from, if I may ask? It always seems odd to me. It's like randomly picking out the bass player for an album and crediting them in the artist field; they're only a part of the overall sound. If you remove the bass player from the song, the sound is just as incomplete as if you had removed the piano player, the percussionist, or the vocalist. They're only part of the overall performance. Unless that particular person also wrote/arranged the music, it just never made sense to me.
I didn't know this was a convention. That's just what I do, but as for the reason, here's how I look at it: the vocals are such a big part of the music, and, often, the singer may be distinct from the rest of the band (like having a cameo). Vocals aren't always worth crediting. If it were just acappela, I wouldn't consider searching for the singer just to credit that.

As for crediting other noteworthy instrumentalists, I would consider crediting a prominent solo guitarist or violinist if he/she were separate from an album's band or artist.