View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:04 AM

For me, it sounds more weird to treat some in-house sound teams differently, just because they aren't officially called by a unique name (e.g. Zuntata) or specified (e.g. Nintendo Sound Team, not Nintendo). It's just a matter of their companies not naming their teams, and it doesn't have something to do directly with whether they are actually units or not.

Also, I believe (hope!) I'm not saying something very alien to us that immediately affects other submissions, because we've been already added several game companies as units (NBGI, CHUNSOFT, Hudson Soft, Alice Soft and more) and for that matter, even those with the named sound teams have some albums with the company credits, and they were just treated as variations (granted, this was for the most part because it was later where they started to name their teams, but Sega nowadays still sometimes credits artists as simply "Sega", even though they previously used "Sega Sound Team" before)

Konami Kukeiha Club <-> Konami Industry Co.,Ltd.
Falcom Sound Team jdk <-> Nihon Falcom  
Sega Sound Team <-> SEGA
Irem Sound Team <-> IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC.

That being said, I do understand why some members might feel odd and want to alert the addition of game companies. I don't summarize my mind yet, but there must be cases where we shouldn't credit them, for certain, and we should make a consensus though a further discussion. As for this case, though, I still it's fine, since we have this amount of albums where Namco Tales Studio are primarily credited (note that I leave Hearts, Narikiri Dungeon X, VS., Destiny Remake, Radiant Mythology 2 and more), but I'll keep listening to how others think, since I know it's not just splitting hairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
My understanding has always been that both Tamura and Sakuraba are contracted to do the music work on a project base, making them de facto employees of NTS at least for a limited time for each project and resulting in the respective crediting scheme. Tamura may have been employed more "permanently" before, but he also always did other works not related to NST at all..
Yeah, that can explain why Sakuraba lives miles away and wouldn't even go to the office that much, yet is listed as part of the studio so often, but I assume the situation between Sakuraba and Tamura can be different. I couldn't salvage the profile page from his shitty old site, but he called himself as 契約社員 (a contracted employee, don't know what it equals outside of Japan, but it's just a worker with the limited period, as you say), and I assume he was asked not to work with any other 'game' companies, but was allowed to compose stuff like mainstream music.