View Single Post
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:23 PM

Thanks! I actually have some good experience with stuff from the era (when I was in Hawaii, I bought a ton of random Jpop CD's from the discount section of Book Off...I got a two disc Greatest Hits album from Personz, which was one of the best $3 I've ever spent. I also have Mari Hamada's Colors and a greatest hits album from Rebecca, both excellent, they're two I want to get more of. Also a couple Noriko Sakai albums, I knew her from Gunbuster). It was funny, I bought so many CD's I had to mail them home to the east coast -too many to take on the plane- and they were waiting for me at the door when I arrived home from Hawaii. It was close to about 60 CD's for around $250. lol, I went a LITTLE nuts.

I've been taking a deeper look at the Kimagure Orange Road franchise recently...It's like a Rumiko Takahashi anime without Rumiko Takahashi at the helm. Project A-ko Songbook has been on my buy list from Amazon Japan for the longest time (the English songs probably could have charted if they had been released to radio in the 80's...I always thought they were excellent).

I also have a couple seiyuu albums on the way to me. Kotono Mitsuishi, Chisa Yokoyama and Kikuko Inoue. No idea what to expect but based on their anime songs, hopefully their solo albums are similar. Also, Coco and Ribbon are both on my radar (I know both of them from Ranma...apparently Little Date and Equal Romance were big hits in Japan).

Feels like Jpop has really changed over the last decade. It's...I dunno, more aggressive, more like ultra cutesy power pop. I can only take the modern stuff in small doses.