View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi

First things first, I didn't want to upset anyone with those recent edits but it seems I did it. Tracklist translations are a dangerous territory to venture into, so I don't know if I will be able to convince you that my approach to these tracklists is valid. If you guys want to revert it back, I'm not going to cry, either way...
so why did you venture to change existing translations? and I will revert it

Quote:
In those cases, I know that '流星拳' and '鳳翼天翔' are fighting techniques that can be romanized as "Ryuseiken" and "Hoyoku Tensho" (or variations thereof). But, in my opinion, these romanizations have no place in an english tracklist when there are translations of said techniques with more or less acceptation (they're not just fan translations). I mean, terms such as Ryuseiken are valid for romaji tracklists but if there is some translation into english of those terms I don't see the point in including them into english tracklists.
personally, it's more than that to me, it's proper name
it's not simply a word or a sentence in some dialogues, no it's the name of an attack (or attacks)

Quote:
Same as before, if you have an english tracklist, I don't see the point in leaving a part of the tracktitle in romaji. And yeah, I know that some people don't ever translate singles or songs into english, but that's the reason why romaji tracklists exist.
I don't think I've ever seen famous english songs being translated in not-in-english songs
I'm sure songs like "thriller" (mj) or whatever never been translated in other languages, so why japanese songs should be an exception
just because people don't know the meaning?

a song like "yakusoku wa iranai" is easier to remember as romaji as translations which can differ according to a lot of sites/material (and translations can corrupt the original meaning)

Quote:
I don't honestly see what's wrong with that, I mean if you're doing a translation of some album's tracklist, the least you can do is to acquaint yourself with the information available on the net about the game/series/movie/whatever. It's the minimun required if you want to do a fine job in your translations.

For example, let's take "太陽神殿の崩壊" that previously was translated as "The Sun Temple Collapses" and I changed it for "Corona Temple's Destruction" and the reason why I did that was because Corona Temple is how this temple is named in the west. Another example if you like is "最終聖戦" previously translated as "Final Battle" and changed it for "The Last Holy War" What a surprise! What's the title of the movie of that album?
I know the series, I don't need a fan site translation to do it especially when fan site translations are often made by people thinking they can do translations (it's generally badly made, esp. wikipedia's)

it's just localization shit, like with pokemon etc.
it's often not a good idea to use localization because sometimes you completely lose the sense of the original tracknames

Quote:
And in the same vein, I've changed some tracktitles as "Sad Brothers" instead of "Sorrowful Brothers", or "Cosmo of Friendship" instead of "Friendly Cosmo" because the new translations don't add anything new to the old and way more widespread translations of the said tracks. I don't see translating as a fight of egos, and if I see an existing translation for a track which is accurate enough, then I'll stick to it.
new translations?
what the heck are talking about? it's nothing new, you just see that new because you referred my tracklist with sites using the same translation for years, as said above I don't need that to make my own translations

Quote:
I'm quite literal in my approach to translation, so if the original is バルムングの剣を求めて and it contains the kanji '剣' which literally means 'sword', the answer is obvious. I don't really mind that translation with or without the word 'sword', but the problem is that originally the tracktitle is バルムングのを求めて, one considers stupid or not.
it's not because the jap added it that you must make the same stupid error