View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwraith View Post
Well, there's a reason to take a listen to that soundtrack. I think his contributions to Skyward Sword were some of the best parts of the soundtrack so I'd love to hear more of his work.
Oh, it's a fantastic soundtrack, I highly recommend both volumes. The track "魔族的崇拝" (track 9 on the first volume) particularly makes me think of Zelda. It has a very similar Dead Can Dance-esque vibe as the temple songs from Ocarina Of Time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwraith View Post
Definitely agree, and I think it's only a matter of time until that happens.

Yamamoto's debut work in Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga interested me, whereas Sawano's portion really wasn't up to the standards he set up in the fantastic 1st season and movie soundtracks that show him to be capable of much more than his now trademark bombast, which is exactly what he did for Kyoto Saga aside from a few standout tracks.

Blue Exorcist had Sawano show a lot more restraint and musical variety compared to other anime works he's done, so his approach to Kyoto Saga was a bit disappointing. I think Yamamoto did a better job in this regard.

Sawano should take a break from working on dramatic action-heavy shounen or mecha shows and work on something different like romance, slice of life or horror. The last time he did was in the 2015 NHK morning drama Mare, so it's been a while since he stepped outside his comfort zone.

Another composer I'd like to hear more in anime: Takafumi Wada. He's mostly been something of an "assistant composer" for Sawano and the two collaborate often, but he's quite capable and should get more works on his own. I really liked his music in The Seven Deadly Sins, which also had some really nice Celtic-inspired songs by Yamamoto for its 2nd season. They should just have Wada and Yamamoto take over this series and let Sawano go, to be honest. Sawano's output in 7DS 2nd season and movie was really uninspired overall. Almost as if he doesn't want to work on the series anymore and has to do so out of some contractual obligation. Considering Aniplex and their love of advertising Sawano's name on their shows, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.
Yeah, as much as I like Sawano, his sequels tend to be comparatively lacking. Both Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga and Seven Deadly Sins 2nd season, while not out-right bad, per se, were lacking the distinguishing features that differentiated the first OSTs from the rest of his discography. Though I will say, the new tracks for Thunderbolt Fantasy that have shown up in the show so far, save some new piano arrangements that don't do much for me, have been pretty killer.

And I agree with Takafumi Wada. I'd like for him to do his own stuff both in that I'd like to hear some stuff exclusively by him, as well as, in general, I don't really like when Sawano has co-composers. No mattar how good the co-composers or Sawano's material is by itself, everything Sawano does is so obviously Sawano, and everyone else is so obviously not. It never melds properly and always sounds really awkward to me...

But I digress... I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread into a Sawano discussion... :P