View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2021, 01:46 PM

Somehow just rediscovering this. I have no idea how or why I made this post. I sorta remember it, but sorta don't.

Celceta has some good things and some meh things. Some of the arranges and new songs are excellent; 1-03, 1-09, 2-01, 2-08, etc. However, I completely stand by what I said about Felghana. It is simply aggressively terrible to a degree that I cannot imagine early '00s Falcom doing, and yet it exists. I find it quite funny that anyone is attempting to call for bias against arranges, as I will immediately tell you that Ys II Eternal/Ys Complete is fine art (with the extreme exception of Ys II Eternal Subterranean Canal, which basically noone likes... not that this "proves" anything, it's just funny). I also completely stand by what I said about SEMO and RPGFan. There are a lot of horrendous video game-related websites on the internet, not just VGM stuff (RPGFan itself is one of these more general sites of course).

Seriously, the game itself is phenomenal, but Felghana's soundtrack is legit bad. I was already outright muting music every time I played it, but recently the developers of the new PC port actually added in the alternate soundtracks from the PSP port. It is completely impossible to ever go back. I don't think I would be happy with a timeline where XSEED didn't exist, even if something really bad came out about them tomorrow or whatever (what they did to Brittany Avery was pretty bad, "industry standard" or not, but I mean worse), simply because they did us this great justice. It's particularly bad because the "prototype" soundtrack in that giant Felghana box is actually... pretty good. It has that new song for (a?) Chester fight(s?) too, shame they didn't actually use it in Felghana. (Fortunately, they didn't add in Double Boost... hopefully they never do.)

Oh. Just noticed my 2016 post. Why don't I remember any of this... In any event, I stand by basically everything in that post. Feel free to hate me for it. Again, Complete is god(dess?). Celceta is cool. The game itself is a little weird because Ys Seven is itself a little weird, but I don't think the people screaming about how they can dodge everything all the time in Seven/Celceta can actually do so.

I will say that, regrettably, I have not had the chance to check out the MIDI modes in either Eternal/Complete (I forget if Complete still has the MIDI modes. The MIDI stuff in Brandish VT and the Brandish 4 arranges seem alright. The thing that bothers me so much about Ys Eternal is that not only is the sound not that great, but that almost none of the cool unique sections added to Ys Complete is present. I am only aware of Tower of the Shadow of Death having its, which is cool actually, though it might be from an earlier version. The Saturn/Eternal version of Final Battle is okay, but... just listen to the Complete version, please. This is also why Chronicles bothers me; they got rid of basically all of the unique sections, which (aside from having pretty good sound) is the whole appeal of Ys Complete. Check out the unique sections on songs like Holders of Power, First Step to End Wars, Final Battle, etc... it's extremely good. It's clear that this was coming off the back of Ys II Eternal which has things like Termination. Ys II Eternal Termination is unbelievably good. Again, the only sour point that I'm aware of with either Ys II Eternal or Ys Complete is Subterranean Canal. I really don't know why they didn't just make it like the PC Engine CD version, which has been my current go-to version for that particular song for this particular reason.

Regarding that question about THE ORDEAL BECOMES GREAT (I will not have it, Aifread), I eventually realized that, sadly, that song is used for some very specific boss fights in The Dawn of Ys, and that the final boss theme is really not a final boss theme. Sigh. I don't remember if I've already said this elsewhere.

Websites being rewarded with clout for "being there when noone else was" is a very large part of why the situation we are in is currently fucked (Fukt?). That leads to memes, real memes, that persist over very long years. It is virtually impossible to talk to people about anything that does not involve knowledge taken directly from these websites. So many people read these websites and never touch the games being talked about, believing every single word that their pastor of whatever website church they go to has to say. This continues to happen today with established names, and with YouTubers. Nothing has changed. For every one DragoonEnRegalia, there are probably a hundred people who fit this description, if not more. I see it all the time in the comments section of these websites or with how people throw around these articles all the time.

Hopefully I don't forget I made this post.

Last edited by Despatche; Jul 13, 2021 at 02:01 PM.