View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:51 PM

Pretty thin booklet

There's a comment page from someone involved with R-Type Final and R-Type Tactics, and I'm pretty sure it's not Yuki Iwai. I'll try scanning it later, but there are four jet-black pages and my scanner's like a LHC for dust. Scanned. Couldn't be bothered to de-speckle it.

Oh, and the mastering is awful

The arcade games sound OK and LEO isn't bad. R-Type III sounds like it took a pass through a very aggressive volume limiter.

R-Type Delta has been "remastered" from the original release for the worse. Some reverb has been added, it's way too loud, and all the tracks hiss like they were recorded off a really bad vinyl. The Stage 6 and Stage 7 themes are especially terrible, with Stage 6 featuring several seconds of sustained clipping.

Here's an example of the spectral reading from the first few seconds of Stage 7 (for reference):

First, from the Scitron release

Next, from this album

So much noise . . .

I haven't listened to R-Type Final yet, though I fear the worst. Also, I don't have the original to compare it to.
Feb 12th edit: Yeah, R-Type Final sounds like it's been needlessly amplified. If you're after this release for Delta or Final, do your best to track down the original albums.

================================================== ==================

Here, have some short fair-use audio samples:

Sample #1
ORIGINAL - 1A - Stage 6 Awakening - 1999 Scitron release
NEW - 1B - Stage 6 Awakening - 2011 TEAM release (sustained clipping at 0:10)

Sample #2
O - 2A - Stage 6 Awakening - 1999 Scitron release
N - 2B - Stage 6 Awakening - 2011 TEAM release (frequent clipping, bad levels overall)

Sample #3
O - 3A - Stage 6 Awakening - 1999 Scitron release
N - 3B - Stage 6 Awakening - 2011 TEAM release (too much reverb)

Sample #4
O - 4A - Stage 7 Life - 1999 Scitron release
N - 4B - Stage 7 Life - 2011 TEAM release (that freaking hiss, plus when the drum+voice kicks in)

Man, TEAM, this isn't fucking Sleigh Bells. It's R-Type.
I know it's Stage 6 and that's a terrible track anyway, but it's the principle of the thing. And I know I sperg'd out on this, but it deserves attention. These are just the most noticeable errors -- I'm sure I'll find more after some serious sit-down-and-listen time.

Last edited by Judge Ito; Mar 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Rehosted samples